Don Bosco Ashalayam, a part of the global network of the Salesians of Don Bosco, is a New Delhi- Palam based, Non-Government, Non-Profit, Non-Political, Social, Charitable Organization Registered under Societies' Registration Act, 1860. It is a licensed children's home (a Home of Hope) for Children: In need of Care and Protection (Street Children, Orphans, Homeless, Abandoned, Unaccompanied, Neglected, Missing/Run Away, Lost & Found, Children found begging, Trafficking Children, Child Laborers, Marginalised Youth etc.).
Our Guiding Principles
• Every human person is created in the image of God. • Everyone has the right to one’s dignity and respect. • Christian values urge us to have an option for the poor and marginalized.
• Following Don Bosco we have a preferential option for the young.
Building the dreams and shaping the lives of the Young at Risk for a just and humane society
• Empower the Young at Risk to be agents of personal and social transformation through a participatory approach.
• Provide positive environments that will prevent exploitation and neglect.
• Accompany the young at risk in their struggle to grow to fullness in freedom and Humanness Network with like-minded individuals and groups to provide effective support to the Young at Risk.
• Advocacy efforts at national and international levels to uphold the rights of the Young at Risk.
Our Target Group
Our focus is generally on children between 6 to 18 years of age who are at risk on the street and in child labor. It extends its services to rag pickers, coolies, shoe shines, construction workers, street vendors, parking boys, lottery ticket sellers, begging children, and other young at risk.
Street presence entails us to be with the child/youth on the street whether he/she is working. It is an active presence. The street educator intervenes to activate the positive forces to reduce the dehumanizing situations.
• A child has rights but due to age constraints is unable to claim his/her rights. Ashalayam therefore plays a vital role in protecting and promoting the rights of children. We help the children to understand what they have not been able to resolve and make them aware of their own rights and duties.
• We invite them to our Children's Home/ Shelter home, on request, admit them to our homes.
• This stage takes place once the children become sure that there is a better place than the nastiness and misery of the street. They are assisted to build up personal hygiene, proper dressing habits, and hale and hearty habits. Providing them love and guidance, instilling self-respect through clean route, civil performance, and developing their sense of responsibility.
• We give the children the option of either Formal/Non-Formal or Vocational training. If they want and are capable, they can proceed for higher studies. It helps the children to bring out their talents and later on earn an honest livelihood.
The children learn to earn from the workshops by selling their crafts, spend a portion of their earnings and save the rest. We personally scrutinize their progress through regular visits to their places. After the age of eighteen, the young adults are placed in rented homes, where they learn to produce for themselves and stand on their own feet.
• In the last and final stage the children have turn out to be responsible citizens. He has the freedom to choose his style of life. As self dependent and contributing citizens they go into society. Thus our efforts to transform Don Bosco’s legacy of love into action on behalf of the young at risk is attained.
On 30 th January 2018, Children of DBA and Snehalaya celebrated Don Bosco Feast at home. There was a special Musical play by the children of Don Bosco Ashalayam and Snehalaya on “Bahubali”. The programme started at 6:00pm with snacks for all the guests in the evening. Invites were sent to various donors who have helped the Ashalayam in various ways throughout the year and also the donors who have helped Ashalayam in the past. Program started with a prayer dance by the girls form Snehalaya followed by a welcome speech by Fr. Swanoop(Executive Director). There was a video screening on the life of St. John Bsoco. DBA Boys sang the hymn to Don Bosco and after wards there was an instrumental performance followed by a Bollywood dance performance by children of Don Bosco Ashalayam and Snehalaya. DBA staff also participated in the event. Vote of thanks was given by Fr. Abhay(Home In –charge). After the program, refreshments were served to all the guests.Read More
Rev. Fr. Maria Arokiam Kanaga, Regional Superior for South Asia made his extraordinary visitationto Don Bosco Ashalayam on 19th February 2018 to 20th February 2018. After a short prayer service conducted by the community he gave a conference to the Salesians. During morning assembly the children of Ashalayam welcomed Fr. Maria with garland and bouquet. During his address to the children Fr. Maria said that Don Bosco always had a special love for children of this kind. It is Don Bosco who has brought them to Ashalayam to be better citizens of this country. He also encouraged the children to pursue their studies and other activities which could be of value-based education.
On 31st December 2017, DBA organized a sports event for the children of DBA and Snehalaya. In the morning Everbody went to Dwarka sec-6 Community Park and played various games organized by the staff. Four teams were formed to play these games. Lunch was served at the park, where Fathers, sisters, children and all the staff members sat together and enjoyed the meal. In the evening a DJ night was organized by DBA, Children danced their heart out and welcomed a new year with a happy heart.Read More